West African Paganism is the indigenous religious beliefs and practices of West African peoples, and includes various traditional religions. While generalizations of these religions are difficult, due to the diversity of West African cultures, they do have some characteristics in common. Generally, they are oral rather than scriptural, include belief in a supreme being, belief in spirits and other divinities, veneration of ancestors, use of magic, and traditional medicine. The role of humanity is generally seen as one of harmonizing nature with the supernatural.
West African religion is a blanket term for the diverse pagan beliefs of the tribes of Sub-Saharan West Africa. Ancestor worship, animism and totemistic shamanism dominate, but there are also various pantheons of gods. Defining features in-game:
Head - High Priest
Holy sites - Sidi, Bordj, Siliana, Salam, Bamako
- Low-tech non-pagans have very low Supply Limit in Pagan counties.
- Can declare Subjugation Wars against all other Pagans.
- Rulers are limited to Gavelkind Succession.
- Rulers cannot declare Holy Wars.
- Inferior at conversion and vulnerable to non-pagan missionaries.
- Defensive bonuses in West African Pagan counties.
- The West African Pagan faith can be Reformed.