Paulicianism is a Christian Adoptionist sect, accused by medieval sources of being Gnostic and quasi-Manichaean. They flourished between 650 and 872 in Armenia and the Eastern Themes of the Byzantine Empire. According to medieval Byzantine sources, the group's name was derived from the 3rd century Bishop of Antioch, Paul of Samosata.
Paulicianism is a Christian Gnostic heresy influenced by Manichaeism, originating in Armenia. In the game, it is treated as an Orthodox heresy. Defining features in-game:
Head - The Paulician Patriarch
Holy sites - Lebedos, Constantinople, Piraeaus, Jerusalem, Antioch
- There is always a Paulician Patriarch, even if Constantinople falls.
- Multiple Patriarchs - the five Pentarchs and Autocephalous Patriarchs under Kings.
- Patriarchs can grant divorces.
- The Paulician Patriarch can grant the Invasion Casus Belli.
- Patriarchs can Excommunicate Paulician characters.
Paulicianism is a heresy of Orthodoxy.