Norse Paganism refers to the religious traditions of the Norsemen prior to the Christianization of Scandinavia, specifically during the Viking Age. Norse religion is a subset of Germanic paganism, which was practiced in the lands inhabited by the Germanic tribes across most of Northern and Central Europe.
Norse heathenry is the last surviving branch of the ancient Germanic belief system. A pantheon of gods under the wise warrior god Odin rules all the branches of the worldtree, Yggdrasil. the other two main gods are Thor, friend to mankind, and Frey, god of fertility. Defining features in-game:
Head - None
Holy sites - Tholen, Paderborn, Uppsala, Hleiðra, Mære
- Can perform coastal raids anywhere.
- Fleets can navigate major rivers. (Until roughly year 1100 when the rivers begin to close)
- Rulers can Prepare Invasions.
- Low-tech non-pagans have very low Supply Limit in Pagan counties.
- Can declare Subjugation Wars against all other Pagans.
- Rulers are limited to Gavelkind Succession.
- Rulers cannot declare Holy Wars.
- Inferior at conversion and vulnerable to non-pagan missionaries.
- Rulers lose Prestige if at peace for too long.
- The Norse Pagan faith can be Reformed.