Buddhism was founded by the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, in Northeast India in the 5th century B.C. The religion flourished in India for more than 1500 years, building huge libraries and monastery complexes, until Muslim invasions and the growing power of the Brahmin (Hindu priests) caste drove Buddhism out of the subcontinent. In the game, Buddhists get a significant bonus to Learning, meaning that they will research technologies faster.
- There is no religious head.
- Caste traits do not matter.
- Buddhists get a hefty Learning bonus.
- Can declare Subjugation Wars against non-Indian religions.
- Hard to convert Jain and Hindu counties.
- Can designate any valid offspring as the heir.
- Buddhism is generally divided into three major sects in the game: Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana.
By the year of 1066, Buddhism is prevalent in northeast India, Sri Lanka, and modern-day Bangladesh. Buddhists can also be found in the southern Himalayas, and just west of the Tibetan Plateau, although the latter is under Muslim control.